Bogota and Cundinamarca concentrate 34% (10.5 million sq. meters) of the area currently under construction nationwide. Housing and corporate infrastructure (offices, warehouses and trade) are the main segments for new investment opportunities in the construction sector.
A diverse industry with many business opportunities
It is estimated that by 2021 the demand for construction materials will be around COP$34 trillion, with a compound annual growing rate (CAGR) of 5.8% between 2011 and 2021.
In 10 years (2005-2015), the footprint of this industry tripled in Colombia, reaching a production close to COP$20.3 trillion and sales around COP$27.45 trillion in 2015.
What Are Investors Saying?
Major segments of construction materials industry in Colombia
Construction industry in Colombia
- With a CAGR of 4.9% between 2017-2021, the Colombian construction sector is one of the most dynamic in Latin America. It is estimated that by 2021 it will reach sales of more than COP$129 trillion.
- Construction industry, with a size of COP$77.5 trillion (2015), is one of the branches of the economy with the highest share of Colombia’s GDP, with a contribution of 9.7%.
- Construction sector in Colombia has two main elements: Residential and non-residential construction and infrastructure construction, which represent approximately COP$41.16 trillion (53.1%) and COP$36.36 trillion (46.9%) respectively, in size.
Source: Business Monitor International
Major infrastructure projects in Colombia
- 4G concessions: 30 road projects with an investment close to COP$47 trillion to be invested in the construction of 8,170 km of highways.
- Investment in seaports, railway concessions, airports and improving the navigability of the Magdalena River.
Major infrastructure projects in Bogota
- Bogota Metro
- El Dorado 2 airport
- CAN City
- 6 highly-complex hospitals
- Bavaria Triangle
- Fenicia Triangle
- 30 new schools
- Ciudad Río (River City)
Bogota's labor force readiness and quality
- With a workforce of more than 4.6 million people, and more than 117 higher education institutions, Bogota can guarantee the availability and quality of its human resources.
- Each year, around 141 thousand students graduate in the city (professionals, technical and technicians).
If you require greater detail, please contact any of the Investment Officers in charge.
Updated (mm/dd/yyyy): 12.22.2017