Colombia is the fourth largest health market in Latin America.
Colombia has 96% of healthcare coverage and due to the continuous effort and commitment of the Government, universal coverage is projected for the next years.
Healthcare expenditure in Colombia represents 7,2% of the GDP. The National Government puts in 75% of the national expenditure, while the privates (out-of-pocket expenses) contribute the remaining 25%. The rest of Latin America presents different proportions, reporting and average of 56% and 44% of government and private spent respectively.
Bogotá, city of health
20% of the healthcare system affiliates are in the Bogotá-region, followed by the states of Antioquia with 13% and Valle with 9%. Also, the quality of the institutions of Bogotá stands out, 7 of the 44 best hospitals in Latin America are located in the city.
Over 94% of the population of Bogotá is covered by the healthcare system, 83% of these belong to the contributive system, 16% are part of the subsidized scheme and the remaining 2% are classified among the exemption regime.
Affiliates to the healthcare system in Bogota - Region
- Improvement in the offer of health prevention services.
- Implementation of technology and innovation, in order to upgrade the efficiency in the service delivery.
- Expansion projects for the IPSs (Healthcare Provider Institutions), due to the growing demand in health services.
- Improvement and enhancement of research centers.
If you need more detailed information, find in the lower part the information of our investment officers in charge of this sector.
Updated (mm/dd/yyyy): 02/22/2018