- The best destinations and tourism services of the Americas and the Caribbean in 2023 were chosen, including Colombia thta receives 14 awards in different categories.
- Bogota was acknowledged as the leading business travel destination in South America and Agora Bogota Convention Center was awarded as the leading conference and meeting center in South America
- The Bureau of Conventions at Invest in Bogota, along with its partners, has managed 82 events between 2022 and 2028, expecting the participation of 56,200 delegates, generating an estimated impact of USD 36.5 million and approximately 136 thousand hotel nights for the city.
Bogota, Colombia, October 2023. The World Travel Awards, known as the “Oscars of Tourism,” have been established since 1993 as the anual global awards that determines the scope and excellence of the travel and tourism industry. These awards are given through an international voting system, considering categories such as hotels (business, conference, leading hotel suite, resort, green hotel), tourist accommodations, attractions, airlines, DMC (Destination Management Company), Leading Tour Operator, among others. Votes come from industry professionals, media, and the general public, submitted on the awards’ website. After logging in, users can vote for their region and categories of interest. The nominee in each category with the most votes becomes the winner. There is also an expert jury in accommodations, who usually is associated with the World Travel and Tourism Council.
Bogota was recognized as the leading business travel destination in South America, and the Agora Bogotá Convention Center, known for its modularity to accommodate different types and formats of world-class meetings, was acknowledged as the leading conference and meeting center in South America.
“We are pleased with the recognition that Bogota received as the leading business travel destination. The city is attractive in different aspects, such as its cutting-edge infrastructure, productivity focused on services, with skilled and diverse workforce; it is highly competitive due to its equidistant location from major cities in the Americas and serves as an exceptional business center based on science, technology, and innovation; entrepreneurial spirit, and stable and outstanding economic growth in the region,” says Isabella Muñoz, Executive Director of Invest in Bogota.
Adding to this, Paola Piza, Manager of the Bureau of Conventions at Invest in Bogota since November 2021, points out, “The Colombian capital has positioned itself as an excellent platform for hosting meetings and events. Since 2021, this business unit, with the support of its partners, has managed 82 events between 2022 and 2028, expecting the participation of 56,200 delegates, generating an estimated impact of USD 36,5 million and approximately 136 thousand hotel nights for the city.”
Recognitions for Colombia in the World Travel Awards 2023:
- Leading Promotion Agency in South America: ProColombia.
- Leading Green Destination in South America: Colombia.
- Leading Tourism Destination for Youth in South America: Colombia.
Other awards presented:
- Leading Airline Brand in South America: Avianca.
- Leading Beach Destination in South America: San Andres.
- Leading Cruise Port in South America: Cartagena Port.
- Leading Cultural City Destination in South America: Santiago de Cali.
- Leading Design Hotel in South America: Hotel 23.
- Leading Festivals and Events Destination in South America: Barranquilla.
- Leading New Hotel in South America: Hilton Santa Marta.
- Leading Travel Management Company in South America: Aviatur.
About Invest in Bogota:
Invest in Bogota is the business promotion agency for Bogota, a public-private initiative between the Bogota Chamber of Commerce and the Capital District. Its purpose is to attract relevant foreign direct investment, world-class events through its Convention Bureau, and to be a connector in the city’s regional entrepreneurial ecosystem. This is done in order to contribute to more socioeconomic development, competitiveness, and quality of life for citizens and tourists, positioning Bogota as a preferred business destination in Latin America. For six consecutive years, Invest in Bogota has been recognized as one of the best agencies in its category globally and one of the top four in South America, Central America, and the Caribbean, according to the international publication Site Selection in its annual “Global Best to Invest Report.”