Date

07 de May 2018

The food and beverage industry will grow by 7% per year

Pocessed food and drinks

According to the projections of Invest in Bogota, it is expected that by 2021 the sector will reach sales of more than 25 billion dollars.

Food and beverage in Bogotá

An annual growth of 7% in demand for the food and beverage industry in Colombia will allow the sector to reach sales of more than 25 billion dollars in 2021.

This is according to projections by Invest in Bogotá, who also expect an increase similar to that of 2017 for this year and a continual increase over the next five years.

“The food and beverage sector reached sales of 13.2 billion dollars in 2017 and had more presence in the milling, baking and pastry industries with 31%, followed by dairy, flour, confectionery, snacks, fruits, vegetables, oils, sauces, meat products, ice creams and desserts,” said Juan Gabriel Pérez, executive director of Invest in Bogotá.

The entity also revealed that 70% of the industry’s sales are concentrated on food and the remaining 30% on beverages. “In the beverage industry, the sales of carbonated drinks bounced back last year, with 46%, in addition to bottled water, juices, concentrated beverage, sports drinks, energy drinks and ready-to-drink tea,” mentioned Invest in Bogota.

In terms of cities, Bogota is the center of highest consumption in the country, with 57%. It is followed by Antioquia (15%), Valle del Cauca (8%), Bolívar (6%) and Atlántico (5%).

“Bogota, with a middle class that makes up 51.6% of the population, has a robust market for the high-added-value food and beverage industry. It has been observed that the rhythm of consumption in households in Bogota has grown 4% per year. For this reason, it is the center with the highest consumption rates for this industry in Colombia”, Pérez confirmed.

ALIMENTEC ARRIVES

The most representative fair of the food, beverage and food technology industries in Latin America, Alimentec, will take place in Corferias on June 5-8, and will feature discussion topics such as the positioning of this sector in Colombia and the world.

In this tenth edition of the fair, visitors will be able to access equipment, machinery, supplies, academic and experiential spaces in which there will be experts from the food and beverage industry in Colombia and over 10 countries.

“The fair has everything that the industry and entrepreneurs need to form profitable businesses over time, including equipment, technology and supplies. This is in addition to speakers and the participation of over 100 international exhibitors”, Alimentic project leader, Doris Chingaté highlighted.

 

Please visit their website to pre-register for the event.