Colombia issues different types of Entry and Stay Permits (PIP, Permisos de Ingreso y Permanencia). The duration of these permits is for no more than 90 days for those nationals from unrestricted countries, which refer to those that do not need a visa to enter the country.
Colombia has three types of visas made to adjust to different needs: Visitor, Migrant, and Resident.
For foreigners who want to visit Colombia once or several times, or who want to stay temporarily and have no intention to permanently establish themselves there. This visa is valid for a maximum of two years and offers a maximum stay of 180 days. It costs approximately USD 297.
For foreigners who want to enter and/or remain in the country to establish themselves for the long term and do not meet the conditions for applying for a resident visa. This visa is valid for a maximum of three years and its maximum stay is for the same amount. It costs approximately USD 282.
For foreigners who want to permanently establish themselves or establish their domicile in Colombia and meet any of the following conditions:
- Have renounced their Colombian nationality
- Are the parent of a Colombian national
- Have had a migrant visa for 2 to 5 continuous uninterrupted years, depending on their situation
- Have held the resident beneficiary visa for 5 continuous uninterrupted years
- Will make large sums of investments