How to Live and Work in Colombia
Do you need a visa in order to enter and be able to work in Colombia?
Colombia issues different types of Entry and Stay Permits (PIP, Permisos de Ingreso y Permanencia). The duration of these permits is for no more than 90 days for those nationals from unrestricted countries, which refer to those that do not need a visa to enter the country.
Colombia has three types of visas made to adjust to different needs: Visitor, Migrant, and Resident.
For foreigners who want to visit Colombia once or several times, or who want to stay temporarily and have no intention to permanently establish themselves there. This visa is valid for a maximum of two years and offers a maximum stay of 180 days. It costs approximately USD 297.
For foreigners who want to enter and/or remain in the country to establish themselves for the long term and do not meet the conditions for applying for a resident visa. This visa is valid for a maximum of three years and its maximum stay is for the same amount. It costs approximately USD 282.
For foreigners who want to permanently establish themselves or establish their domicile in Colombia and meet any of the following conditions:
- Have renounced their Colombian nationality
- Are the parent of a Colombian national
- Have had a migrant visa for 2 to 5 continuous uninterrupted years, depending on their situation
- Have held the resident beneficiary visa for 5 continuous uninterrupted years
- Will make large sums of investments
Keep in mind
- The foreign identification card (cédula de extranjería) is the ID card for foreign citizens. It is valid for the same duration of the visa.
- Migration Colombia must be informed about the hiring or admission of a foreigner through any civil or labor means that offers a benefit.
- Failure to comply with Colombian immigration regulations could result in financial sanctions or even being deported or expelled from the country.
Learn More Here
Download the complete chapter
Download the complete version of the investment guide, in which you will be able to learn more about the generalities, principles, types of foreign investment, international instruments for the foreign investment protection, among others.
EY, through its four integrated service lines – Assurance, Advisory, Tax and Transaction Advisory Services - and its deep knowledge of the sector, helps its clients to capitalize on new opportunities and to assess and manage risk in order to achieve a responsible growth, with the highest quality standards. The Firm has high-performance multidisciplinary teams who help meeting regulatory requirements, keeping the investors informed and meeting the stakeholder’s needs.
Need more information?
Contact Invest in Bogota to receive all the information and advice you need to invest in Bogota and Colombia.