Outsourcing industry (BPO)
In Bogota, the business outsourcing industry (BPO) has taken important leadership in receiving foreign investment for over 20 years, due to factors such as the quality of its human capital, competitiveness, connectivity, and government support. This comprehensive combination of advantages has consolidated the city as one of the best environments in Latin America to provide offshore / nearshore services.
Why Locate in Bogota?
- Experience: For more than 20 years, multinational and national companies located in Bogota provide a variety of back office services which include IT finance and accounting, human resource management, engineering and architecture design.
- Human resources: Bogota has an economically active population of about 4,6 million people, therefore it is the city with the highest concentration of workforce in Colombia (19%). In addition, the city gathers almost 48% of graduates in management sciences in the last 16 years. Additionally, due to training and certification English programs, Bogota exhibits the largest offer of bilingual professionals in the Colombian labor market.
Graduates in Business related fields in Colombia per region (2001-2016)
Bilingualism in Colombia per region (2015)
- Cost structure. The BPO industry in Bogota offers an excellent cost-benefit ratio for wages when compared to other Latin-American cities.
Salaries of an entry-level BPO operation 2016
• Priority sector for the Government. The Colombian government is committed to supporting the BPO sector. Therefore, the Business Process Outsourcing sector was included as one of the 20 sectors that now have a business plan tailored to the Productive. Transformation Program (PTP), aiming to achieve decisive increases in productivity and competitiveness.
• Strategic location: In the same time zone as the eastern United States and offering multiple flight connections daily to and from major cities in the hemisphere, Bogota is a great nearshore location in the Americas
Bogota’s Non-Voice BPO Sector
Bogota represents 63% of the Sector's revenues in Colombia.
Operational Income BPO (2014-2016)
- In terms of the adequacy of Shared Service Centers, investors find in Colombia and particularly in Bogota, a complete ecosystem with the location, incentives, guarantees, costs and human talent, allowing them to install a worldwide class operation. In fact, according to a study made by the firm MVD Consulting / Tholons, 54% of the installed investors of the SSC sector took their decision after evaluating locations as Chile, Argentina, Peru, Uruguay, Costa Rica, Ecuador, and Brazil.
- According to the latest study conducted by The Shared Services & Outsourcing Network, Colombia ranks second in South America on the adequacy of Shared Services Centers (11.4 %), behind Brazil (38.9 %).
- In 2007 Colombia had three SSC projects, 19 in 2010 and 50 in 2015.
Sectors served by shared Services Centers in Colombia (2015)
- The Contact Center Industry has shown a growth opportunity in Colombia. From 2001 to 2014 its turnover went from $ 104,566,000 million to $ 2.9 billion. According to the "Estudio de Caracterización y Formulación Estratégica del Sector de BPO, KPO e ITO", in recent years this industry has maintained an average annual growth of 27 % and the growth expectation for 2015 is 11 %.
- Currently, the BPO sector has 332 Contact Center, mostly Colombians, although in recent years new international players have entered the country, which is employing about 37% of the workforce in the sector.
Contact Center Sectors in Colombia (2015)
- Bogota has become a major destination for multinational companies in the Offshore Services sector within the region. In fact, 85% of the global MNC's of the sector with presence in Colombia is located in Bogota.
Offshore Companies in Colombia (2013)
If you need more detailed information, find in the lower part the information of our investment officers in charge of this sector.
Updated (mm/dd/yyyy): 02.22.2018